Blue Sky Med Spa can help keep your skin hydrated during the summer. Summer is a wonderful time of year, complete with beach days, road trips, and fresh summer food and drink. But with the warm weather comes potentially damaging factors that can make our skin look dull and lifeless. This summer, keep your skin looking youthful and fresh with these simple tips.
The Basics of Skin Structure
Your skin is the largest organ on your body, and makes up about 15% of your body weight. It is composed of three layers: the epidermis, dermis, and hypodermis. The epidermis is the outermost layer of skin, and is directly exposed to the environments around you. The dermis is the second layer, and is rich in collagen and elastin, which keeps your skin flexible and strong. And finally, the hypodermis, which contains fatty tissue. These three layers need to stay balanced in order to keep your skin hydrated and looking it’s best.
Factors That Affect Hydration
There are a few factors that can affect the hydration level of your skin. Those factors include:
- High temperatures
- UV radiation
- Drinking coffee or alcohol
- Taking too long of showers or baths
- Aggressively cleaning or exfoliating your skin
Symptoms of Dehydrated Skin
When your skin is dehydrated, it’s feels similar to dry skin. Your face can feel tight and dry, and you may also experience redness, peeling, or itching. Dry skin, however, does not always indicate lack of moisture.
Tips for Keeping Your Skin Hydrated
Although everyone’s skin care routine will vary, there are a few basic things you can add to help keep your skin hydrated and fresh.
- While over-exfoliating can add to dehydrated skin, regularly exfoliating- two or three times a week can help remove dead skin cells and increase blood circulation to your face. You can research recipes for exfoliating scrub that you can make at home, or find a brand you like at the drugstore.
- Using the right kind of moisturizer for your skin in the morning and evening is essential in keeping your skin hydrated. Moisturizer is a key component in the skin’s rejuvenation process, so it’s important to find the right one for your skin.
- Drink Water and Eat a Balanced Diet
- How much water you drink and the foods you eat also play a crucial role in keeping the skin hydrated. Drink plenty of water during the day, and make sure you’re eating enough fruits and vegetables.
If you have any problems with your skin or want to know more about how to keep your skin hydrated over the summer, please feel free to reach out to us! Call 815-759-2368 to schedule your free consultation, or visit our website. We hope to see you soon!